Monday, September 1, 2008

Orientation weekend!

This past weekend I attended a Rotary orientation for all the inbounds and outbounds. I got to meet the other students in my district. They are all really cool! There are four of us: another from the states named Hanley, a girl from France named Sophia, a girl from Australia, Emily, and me. Then there were a whole bunch of rebounds (those who went and came back) and they were all really awesome and helpful. It was funny though because Hanley and I were the only boys there. I made a lot of friends there, especially since most of the rebounds knew English! The youth hostel we stayed at was at this farm called Kamaya Green Farm, and there were cows and sheep and horses and stuff. We got to make sausages, and eat them, then we had a barbecue where we cooked our own food. Then they tried teaching us the Japanese version of rock, paper, scissors, and I won. I did not realize that winning meant that I had to cook and ostrich egg! I made scrambled eggs for everybody (one egg fed them all) and it was (surprisingly) oishikatta! delicious. We had fireworks and creemees (real creemees! from the cows at the farm!) and in the morning we got to milk cows! we milked into cups and drank right on the spot. Then we went and made butter, which was really cool too. For lunch we had nagashi somen. It was the craziest thing ever! no pictures yet, but heres how it works: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnDz6GSJTMs After the orientation, my host mother, sister, and my sister's friend went to see Hancock. It just came out. I will get pictures up soon, I promise!! I am trying to get Picasa, and I'm also not on my computer right now. But soon. Maybe I'll do a video blog once too. Anyways, that's all from me, I'm having an awesome time here, but I still miss you all! Sayonara!!! ダコタ ベンジャミン

3 comments:

  1. Yoooo Dakota!! It's Noni :3 I just remembered about your blog today! I'm glad you seem to be having a good time, Japan not as scary as you thought?
    And wow, I've never had an ostrich egg. Does it taste like a chicken egg?

    I might get a blogspot account. Or maybe I'll just keep singing these things with my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! What an awesome time! I loved the video, boy in it almost looks like you. I know your father watched it too-- This is a GREAT way to communicate to everyone. I just need to know you are alive every few days.... love mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear dakota,

    All the way to Japan from Vermont to finally milk a cow and experience a dairy farm. The farm is greener on the other side of the world??!!

    Franciscan Farms is going strong and we will be getting two alpacas on tuesday.............

    Love you and miss you but glad to see it is all coming together for you.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers......

    God Bless,

    Fr. Steve

    ReplyDelete