Monday, August 25, 2008

Whoooo!

I made it! Finally! OK, where to start? I got up at 4 in the morning on the 22nd, took a plane to Chicago, and met up with some kids there. They were all really cool! We got on the plane at noon, but were delayed an hour because of rain. We eventually took off. 13 hours! I watched Iron Man like 6 times. Finally I landed in Tokyo. There I met up with Arazoe-san, who took me to Haneda Airport by bus. I didn't get to see much of it, we went around most of the city, and it was also retty overcast. But I did see Tokyo Disney Resort. We ate sushi before I left for Aomori Airport. Bad idea! I would up getting sick during landing (thank god for those little barf bags!) but the stewardess was really nice and got me some water. By this time I had been up for 25 or so hours. When I got into the car for the final leg of my journey, I slept. I made it at last to my room. It had been a long few days. My bed is a futon, meaning it is on the floor. It was really comfortable, though. However, every morning I have to fold the whole thing up and put it in my closet. It's pretty cool, actually. One of the biggest problems I'm having is my stomach. I am having constant stomahaches, which is affecting my eating. Not a good thing. I think it may be a mix of nervousness and homesickness. I don't want to seem like a bad eater, but nothing can be done. Please pray for my stomach. Yesterday, I had egg for breakfast. It was pretty good. There was also rice (which I really love) and soup. I'm going to have problems with soup, I think. Then Mari, who is the only one who knows English, took me around the house. I met Obaasan and Ojiisan (Grandma and Grampa), and all around the house. Then we went to tke some stuff to Mari's Dorm. She will be living about an hour and a half away by car for her school. We also went to the mall. It was big, with mostly girls fashion. There was also a huge arcade. Lots of anime stuff. She took me to an "American" store, where I found Dad's favorite snack, Snyder's Honey Mustard pretzel bit things! (i think i got that wrong, but you know what I'm talking about) Then Mari left me. She was staying at her dorm, and I was going back home. Without any English speakers. I will be ... fun. Today was sort of a lazy day. I went for a walk with my aunt (obasan) and saw my neighborhood. Then I got my computer to work online. Now I should go, so I don't stay on too long. Tomorrow, I go to school. They're having a welcoming ceremony for me. I'm excited.

7 comments:

  1. hey dakota!
    sounds like youre going to have a busy semester ahead of you. good luck with everything..dont worry about the homesickness, it's normal. you'll get used to everything there in no time.

    keep postin your stories, we love to read about your stay in japan

    --Lina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dakota!
    It's so cool reading your blog. We're praying for you. Bishop Jonathan was at church yesterday here in VT and his message was, don't let your intellect interfere with how the Lord wants to bless you. Also, he talked about the apostle Nathanael under the fig tree and how Jesus saw him under the fig tree before He called Him. Jonathan talked about the fig tree moments when you are alone and Jesus sees you and is right there wanting to be very intimate with you. Sounds like you might have a chance to have a few of those moments yourself this year! Hang in there. We'll miss you at the last rec nite tonight! But you can bet we'll be lifting you up in prayer. All our love, Sr. Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!
    Omedetou Dakota!!!!
    Congrats on making it. We've had a bad habit of restlessness since we came home to Mass., so we can say honestly that we were awake all night praying for you on your one 13 hour shot of a plane ride. And we've been telling everyone about your journey too.
    I'm sure once you're settled in your stomach will relax, and your family there will understand if you're feeling a bit uneasy these first days. But we definitely, definitely, definitely will be praying for you. Zettai!
    Hang in there Koda. Enjoy your time and take it slow.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dakota!!!
    It is so nice to hear from you all the way over in Japan. Reading your blog brought me back to the time I stayed with host families in Indonesia and very few of them spoke English. You'll get used to it and you'll end up teaching each other and learning so much from one another. I hope you have such an awesome time and that you can keep in touch throughout your time there. We'll be praying for you!
    Love ya,
    Sr. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dakota,

    Wow, it has happened. One day Vermont, next day japan - welcome to the global village!! Imagine when missionaries went to Japan by foot, horse and boat.

    I grew up in Boston and when I first travelled to other places in the US the language thing was a problem - no one else spoke the King's English like us Bostonians.......(Chuckle) You will feel somewhat isolated at first due to language problem but you'll be amazed at how fast you will learn it, especially when you are lost, hungry or have to go to the bathroom (which sounds like you might be doing a lot of right now)

    Send some pictures if you can. Last Rec night tonight and the Fall is coming quickly. We'll miss you at youth group. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.............

    God Bless,

    Fr. Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey brother,
    glad to hear youve made it safe and sound.

    i saw one of those girl friends (not girlfriend!) you brought to the last rec night working in the movie store. WE TALKED ABOUT YOU. HA!

    expect challenges. they are inevitable.. but know that the Lord has equipped you with everything you need in order to meet those challenges, and come out on the other end a better guy then when you went in. be strong!

    what an awesome opportunity youve got! let me know about what cool music and art stuff you run into. find out if anyone likes Thrice ;)

    we're all praying for you dude. keep up the posting!

    your brother in Christ,
    -Br. Luke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear from you Dk! We've been praying for you, and will continue to do so. We know what you mean on the new experiences thing, but nothing as drastic as your cultural immersion. Stay connected with us back home, and don't be afraid to let us know when you're struggling. Love you man!
    Dan
    P.S.- Don't go joining any drift racing organizations :)

    ReplyDelete